Thursday, May 24, 2012

Mexican BBQ Fiesta! - April Supper Club


When it was my turn to host Supper Club I had two choices for my Menu. Once was “Pregnancy Cravings” the other was “Mexican BBQ Fiesta”. I went with the latter. For my Menu I went with a simple Mexican BBQ theme since we were so close to Cinco de Mayo. Our dishes to make were Carne Asada, Mango Avocado Salsa & my Grandma Dolly’s Spanish rice. Since I am "the substitute" I will admit that yes, the Carne Asada was from the local Mexican Carniceria. However, I painstakingly chopped by a HUGE batch of my award winning Mango, Avocado & Tomato Salsa and Anthony fried up some of his tortilla chips. Also I made my Grandma Dolly famous Spanish rice. In the Severy household we mean business when it comes to Mexican food! J Please enjoy with you next Mexican fiesta! 

Dolly’s Mango, Avocado & Tomato Salsa

Ingredients

1 mango – peeled, seeded and diced

1 avocado – peeled, pitted and diced

4 medium tomatoes – diced

1 jalapeno pepper – seeded and minced (to avoid burning hands please use plastic gloves, I’ve learned the hard way)

½ cup chopped fresh cilantro

3 cloves of fresh garlic – minced

Salt

2 tablespoons of fresh lime juice – really I don’t measure this.

¼ cup red onion – finely chopped

3 tablespoon of olive oil


Directions

In a medium bowl, combine all ingredients. To blend the flavors it is best to refrigerate for about 30 minutes before serving.


Anthony’s Tortilla Chips

Ingredients

About 10 corn tortillas cut into triangles (like a pizza)

Vegetable Oil

Salt to taste

Directions

Please oil in a heavy bottom pan. He judges the temperature by placing one chip into the oil. Once the chip starts to fry your oil is ready. Fry in small batches moving around every couple minutes to ensure even browning.  Fry for 5-7 minutes. Remove to a paper towel bowl, salt immediately. Enjoy with your favorite salsa!

Grandma Dolly’s Spanish Rice

I’m going to apologize in advance that there is no real “recipe” to this. This has been passed down for many generations.

Ingredients

1 cup long grain white rice

About 3 cloves of fresh garlic – minced

2 stalks of green onions – chopped

1 small can of tomato sauce

2 cups of water

About 1 palm full of Cumin

Salt to taste

Vegetable oil ** be sure it is veggie not olive they have different cooking temps!

Directions

Like I mentioned there is no real recipe so here goes.

Over medium heat coat the bottom of a medium pot with the vegetable oil. Add rice and start to brown. Once the rice is semi browned, add in garlic and green onions. Cook until rice is slightly brown and garlic is soft. Add in the water tomato sauce and cumin. Cook for about 15-20 minutes or until has absorbed the liquid. The first time you will need to keep a close eye on it. It will burn quickly once rice has absorbed the liquid. Once done fluff with fork and add in your salt to taste! Enjoy!


xoxo – Dolly
“The Substitute”

No comments:

Post a Comment