Thursday, May 31, 2012

Paella - paˈeʎa

Paella 

(Valencian: [paˈeʎa], Spanish: [paˈeʎa]

Though I had heard of this dish, I honestly could not recall ever having it. Just my luck, when it came to pick dishes from Mandy's menu I didn't have much of a choice...two of the dishes involved phyllo which I am an old pro at working with (the pain in the rear that it can be) from many years of helping my mother and grandmother make Baklava. What is the challenge in that? Yes, you read that correctly, the Rookie makes a mean Baklava. And I am not talking about the layered version either. This mama bakes the fancy rolled kind (because until the age of 15 or so, I didn't realize it even came in another shape!) But for those craving that recipe....you'll have to wait. Tonight we cook Paella!

Ingredients

2 1/2 pounds skinless, boneless chicken breast halves - cut into bite-size pieces
all-purpose flour
salt and pepper to taste (to taste what? Things like this are not help to The Rookie)
 Olive oil
1 pound chorizo sausage, chopped (I used 2 10 oz. packages with is a bit more than 16 oz or 1 lb, depending on your geographic location this could be a challenge to find. )
1 onion, chopped
4 cloves crushed garlic
2 cups chopped tomatoes (when buying a tomato I do not know how many cups it will equate when chopped...so I bought three and hoped for the best)
2 cups white rice
2 (6.5 ounce) cans minced clams (drained)
2 cups frozen green peas
1 pinch saffron (if you have never used saffron before, ask a Foodie or Gourmet if they have some you can use...this stuff is not cheap. I am not sure I am willing to spend $18 on a "pinch" of anything)
5 cups boiling chicken broth
     Many of the recipes call for shrimp. As this month's host is allergic, I added more sausage and chicken vice a trip to the emergency room.


 Let's get cooking!

Recipe

Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C).
Place the chicken pieces in a large ziplock bag with some flour, salt, and pepper. Close bag (VERY IMPORTANT!). Shake to coat chicken (or give to your four year to do).


In a large skillet, fry the chicken in olive oil until brown and crispy. Set aside.

 Brown the sausage in a skillet and set aside. 
 Place about 2 tablespoons olive oil in a large skillet and fry onion and garlic until onions are tender. 


To the same skillet, add chopped tomatoes and saute for 3 to 4 minutes. 
 

Add rice to the skillet and mix well.
Put rice mixture, chicken, and sausage in casserole dish.
Add can of clams, peas, saffron, and chicken broth. 
 

Cover casserole dish.
Bake until all the liquid is absorbed and rice is tender. You may need to add more broth if rice is not done.
 
I am not sure if this tasted as desired or not, however I left for Supper Club with two 9x13 dishes and came back with less than enough for the next day's lunch. I think it was a hit (even the kids liked it which is always a plus!).

 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment